History of Kipos

The Public Kipos takes the largest part of the square Vynakiou and it is the best among other gardens of other provincial cities.

The public garden was first planted in 1921 by the Mayor Andrea Polemidi. Later, in 1935, a monument was erected to honour the heroes of the liberation of Chios in 1912. After the Asia Minor catastrophe, the garden attracted many refugees.


The garden is divided into flower garden and tree garden. The flower garden has a variety of flowers and the tree garden is full of many beautiful trees such as pines, eucalyptus, cedar, palm trees, etc.


The large main entrance of the garden is at the front of the Square. At the entrance, as we go, right and left, we can find two small columns, made of Chios marble, on which two marble griffins stand. They have their eyes wide open and their wings stretched. Griffins are mythological animals which head and wings are like eagle’ s and their body like lions. They are considered the guardians of gold, the guardians of the golden traditions of our island. If you watch the griffins better you can notice that there is the emblem of the family of Genoese Argentidon on their breast.


In the middle of the flower garden we can see the bronze statue of Constantine Kanaris the burner, on a large marble pedestal, standing like a giant, ready to throw the hook on the Turkish ship. This fantastic statue is made by a professor of the University, called Mr. Michael Tombros. It’s an important exhibit, as it shows the important role played by Kanaris in the history of the island.

As we move to the middle of the tree garden, there is a tiny square with a small round tank in the middle, where there is a construction of the shape of Chios. Also, a marble statue is set up on this construction, depicting the Sphinx, which was the symbol of Chios in ancient times and it is carved on ancient coins of Chios. This symbol of the island comes from Syria and Phoenicia, from which the island took its name, which means mastic in Phoenician. The sphinx was stolen in 1993 and from 1995, when it was returned to its base, it is stored in the library of Koraes.

Just beyond the trees, we see a square marble monument that was erected in 1936 in order to honour and to remind us the heroes, who sacrificed and died for our homeland. There, we can read the beautiful inscription of the great poet Kostis Palamas, witch is written between two curved laurel branches,


Moving to the West side of the tree garden, we can find the ruins of St. Basil, the old church of the family Petrokokkinos. The sacred temple was cross-shaped and had three doors and a family tomb of the 15th and 16th century and the tomb of Duke Petrokokkinos was found in it.

While our tour comes to an end of the tour we can see a fully equipped playground with new facilities, such as swings, slides, swings, the dig, where children, young or older, can play without fear, without getting hurt, because of the additional soft mat that is placed for this purpose.